This video is part of the “Cosmic Concepts” video series. It provides an overview of the electromagnetic spectrum and highlights both visible and invisible wavelengths of light. Explanations of non-visible wavelengths of light and how they relate to everyday life are provided. A brief overview of how the full electromagnetic spectrum is used by astronomers to study the cosmos is provided as well.
These programs contain copyrighted material and should not be downloaded or used outside of this website. For further details, refer to the full copyright statement.
Produced by the Space Telescope Science Institute, Office of Public Outreach
All images, illustrations, and videos courtesy of NASA, ESA, and STScI except:
- Rainbow and cloud image courtesy of Rufino
- Electromagnetic spectrum diagram courtesy of Philip Ronan
- Multi-band radio image courtesy of Stefan Kühn
- Microwave oven image courtesy of Gene Zhang
- Sunglasses image courtesy of Joshua Lin
- Bottle of sunscreen image courtesy of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- X-ray of hand image courtesy of Nevit Dilmen
- Nuclear test explosion image courtesy of U.S. National Archives and Records Administration
- Written by Frank Summers
- Designed by Marc Lussier